First Study Phase 1st – 4th semester
- Attendance at lectures, practice sessions, seminars and internship.
- When registering for the first study phase of the state medical examination, it is necessary to provide evidence of, amongst others, first aid training and three months of nursing service.
- The objective is education and training in the basic principles of medicine and science (medical terminology, biology, physics, chemistry, medical psychology, anatomy, physiology and biochemistry) with clinical references.
- First section of the state medical examination.
Second Study Phase 5th – 12th Semester
- On site, in the departments of the Universitätsmedizin (university medical centre), the students learn methods and techniques on how to recognise diseases of the human organism. In the individual university hospital departments they will acquire specialised knowledge in clinical medicine. The teaching of the cross-sectional areas is designed to provide a multidisciplinary view of the diseases.
- Lesson and course-related, graded certificates are to be brought to all the lectures and courses.
- The last year of the clinical phase is completed as a 'last year' in the Universitätsmedizin or at a teaching hospital. This involves a 48-week period and has a stronger focus on practical and clinical education and training. The students develop their practical skills in internal medicine, surgery and in a clinical-practical optional-subject.
- At the registration for the second phase of the state medical examination (M2), it is necessary to provide evidence of non-university internship or work in a hospital and doctor’s surgery (clinical traineeship) with duration of four months.
- Second section of the state medical examination (M2).